Writing Excuses 10.18: Build an Entire World? Are You Crazy?
This is for you folks who started writing the story before you finished building your world. Which is what we wanted you to do all along! Sneaky! We’re talking about letting your story drive your world building efforts, so that you can be more efficient.
We cover some of the tools that we use, as well as when world building fits into, then out of, and then back into our respective processes.
Out of Context Quote: “Sometimes you just need to take the underpants off the puppet.”
Other Worldbuilding Episodes to Reference: Brandon promised a list of links. Here’s a pretty comprehensive one!
- 4.30: Worldbuilding The Future (a blast from our distant past…)
- 6.13: Worldbuilding Communications Technology (rise of the smartphone)
- 6.27: Fantasy Setting Yard Sale (A good demonstration)
- 7.2: Flora and Fauna (Lots of nature. And demonstration!)
- 7.3: Flora and Fauna pt 2 (So much it didn’t fit in one episode.)
- 9.21: Sanderson’s 3rd Law (Depth vs. breadth in world building)
- 10.6: The Worldbuilding Revolves Around Me (“The Magical 1%”)
We recommend not listening to all of them in one go. You’re supposed to be out of excuses and writing, not podcast diving for another two hours…
Homework: Pick your gee-whiz, whatever it may be, and describe it in 150 words from ten different perspectives. Yes, that’s 1500 words.
Thing of the week: Stormdancer: The Lotus War, Book One, by Jay Kristoff, narrated by Jennifer Ikeda.
Powered by RedCircle