13.47: Q&A on Fixing Characters
Your Hosts: Brandon, Valynne, Dan, and Howard
You had questions about fixing character problems. We had had answers! Here are the questions:
- How do you fix character voices when you find out that two of them are too similar?
- How can you tell if a character is, in fact, the problem?
- How do you maintain interest in a character who is largely inactive?
- How do you write interesting bad guys when your only POV characters are the good guys?
- How do you give meaningful challenges to a powerful character?
- How can you make a normal, everyday character interesting?
- How do you edit an existing manuscript to give characters interests which mesh with the plot?
Credits: This episode was recorded by Dan Thompson and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Homework: Cheeto McFlair: Who are they, and why are they asking questions of the Writing Excuses team?
Thing of the week: Myths and Monsters, narrated by Nicholas Day (currently available on Netflix).
Powered by RedCircle