Kevin J. Anderson joined us at Sasquan/WorldCon 73 to take questions about plot twists. Here are the questions that came in from our live audience:
- Genre Twists: good, bad, or ugly?
- Can you compare and contrast a good plot twist with a bad one?
- What is the biggest mistake professional authors make with regarding plot twists?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 17:14 — 11.9MB)
Try to remove your plot twist as a reveal, and see if the story still works.
Merry Christmas! Here’s the last episode of Writing Excuses Season 6! We decided to end the season with a discussion of endings. Specifically, we answer cries for help that we’ve gotten. The cries answered include:
- I’m 90% done and I’ve painted myself into a corner! How do I end this book without resorting to deus ex machina?
- The best part of this book was 75% of the way through! I need the highlight to be at the END!
- My outline isn’t working here at the end! How do I know when to abandon it?
- Help! I want both a satisfying ending and room for a sequel! (hint: we use an object lesson here…)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 20:51 — 14.3MB)
Dan needs a hamburger. What’s stopping him? And what is he going to end up with instead of a hamburger? (Hint: it should be more satisfying than the end he had in mind at the beginning…)