11.13: Elemental Idea Q&A
Shannon Hale joined us at LTUE 2016 to field questions about the Idea elemental genre. Here are the questions:
- How do you keep an elemental idea story from feeling like you’re just waiting for the idea to “unlock.”
- How do you tie your character motivations to the idea?
- How do you know when you’ve satisfactorily explored the idea?
- Are there elemental idea stories that you just need to give up on?
- Is there such a thing as “idea clutter?”
Credits: This episode was recorded live by Daniel Thompson, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Become a Patron: Writing Excuses is supported in part by our friends at Patreon. Become a patron, and get bonus content, plus early access to episodes!
Homework: Pick your favorite idea from the brainstorming exercise, and then work your way forward, plotting out the consequences, and work your way backward, plotting the reasons.
Thing of the week: The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale, narrated by Cynthia Bishop.
Powered by RedCircle