Writing Excuses 10.21: Q&A on World Building
We went to you for questions about world building, and you had some really good ones. The questions are listed below, and our answers are secreted within MP3 file.
- Has there ever been a piece of world building that you didn’t include, and regretted not including?
- How do you remain consistent?
- How do you decide between writing a secondary world fantasy, and creating an historical fantasy?
- Can you avoid cultural appropriation while still using elements inspired by other cultures?
- (This one is getting a can of worms: there’s an entire episode on cultural appropriation coming up)
- What’s the minimum amount of world building required?
Homework: Our next master class episodes are on description. Take a scene that includes some things that you’ve world-built, and rewrite that scene using completely different words.
Thing of the week: A Wilder Rose by Susan Wittig Albert, narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal.
Powered by RedCircle