We wrap up this month’s discussion of pacing with a Q&A. Here are the questions we pulled out of the virtual hat (read: Twitter) for answering during the episode:
- What are some early indications of a pacing problem?
- How do you chart pacing so that it remains even?
- Can you control pacing using scene/sequel format?
- How do you handle character progression during travel without making it choppy?
- It feels like new authors are required to deliver breakneck pacing. Is this true?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 19:40 — 13.5MB)
Plot twists are coming next month. This exercise is called “hard left.” Take a scene that is moving forward at a breakneck pace. Throw a twist at them, and don’t break scene. Force the pacing to continue in the new direction.
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea, by Barbara Demick, narrated by Karen White