Microcasting! This is a fancy word for “Q&A” — we pick some questions from Twitter, and do what amounts to nine mini-episodes of Writing Excuses with a side of bacon. This time around the questions were:
- What do you do if you dont like your characters?
- How do you keep your plot on track?
- Is it better to use real locations in an Urban Fantasy?
- What do you do about plot holes?
- How do you know if you should abandon a story and move on to something else?
- How do you ensure the answers to mysteries are satisfying?
- What are some language-level mistakes that mark writing as amateurish?
- What should a scene consist of?
- What kind of bacon is best?
- Why is Schlock, who looks like a pile of poo, lovable instead of disgusting?
Dan Has A New Book Out This Week: Partials releases this Tuesday, Februrary 28th.
Howard Has An Actual Birthday This Week: Wednesday, February 29th. There will be a sale on at schlockmercenary.com, and it will involve the numbers 11, 29, and 44.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 16:23 — 11.2MB)
Write what one of your characters would write if that character had a blog.
One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire, narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal