12.48: Q&A on Novels and Series, with Brian McClellan
Brian McClellan joined us to field questions about writing novels and series. Here are the questions:
- How do you write an ending that is open for sequels, but isn’t a cliffhanger?
- Is it a good idea to take a large novel, and release it instead as serial novellas?
- Can you debut with a series, or should you establish yourself with standalone novels first?
- How do you keep readers coming back for each new novel when there’s a long time between them?
- Should you have more than just one book done before querying agents?
- What do you do if your novel turns out to be too short to be a novel?
- Is it possible to write a series as a discovery writer?
- How do you foreshadow big things that are a long way out?
Homework: Take two books or movies, suggested from friends. Those are parts 1 and 3 of a series. Now figure out how part 2 works.
Thing of the week: Hungry Ghosts, by Stephen Blackmoore.
Powered by RedCircle