11.26: Elemental Mystery Q&A
In this episode we field some questions about elemental mystery. Here they are!
- How do you balance between two mysteries in the same story?
- What types of mysteries can fit well as sub-plots?
- What do you do when beta readers figure out the mystery really early?
- In the MICE quotient, are mysteries all “Idea” stories?
- How do you write a protagonist who is smarter than you are?
- How do you make sure your genius protagonist is still experiencing an interesting struggle?
- How do you make a kidnap victim more than just a MacGuffin?
- How “literary” can you make your mystery?
Liner Notes: The movie Howard referred to is Cellular, with Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, and Jason Statham.
Credits: This episode was recorded by Daniel Thompson, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Homework: Take a book or film that you enjoy, and write down every mystery you see.
Thing of the week: I Am Princess X, by Cherie Priest, narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal.
Powered by RedCircle