11.17: Elemental Adventure Q&A
You may still have questions about how to apply elemental adventure in your work. Hopefully your questions are similar to the ones we collected below, because these are the ones we answered:
- What do readers like more: protagonists going through lots of different incidents and locations, or through a few that are similar to each other?
- What lessons can we learn from adventure games?
- How can we make action scenes that adventurous, but that are not fight scenes?
- Are there tropes we should stay away from in adventure fiction?
- Do you have suggestions for non-western styles of adventure fiction?
- How do you safely skip the long, boring parts of a journey without missing out on necessary character development?
Credits: This episode was recorded by Daniel Thompson, and mastered by Alex Jackson.
Homework: Make a list of cool set pieces that people could visit. Figure out how your characters’ entry into these places will change the places, your characters, and the story.
Thing of the week: Alif the Unseen, by G. Willow Wilson, narrated by Sanjiv Jhaveri.
Powered by RedCircle